shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Swifts Match Reports – Sunday 13th January 2019

Under 7’s

On Sunday Tenby Under 7s travelled to a freezing cold Fishguard to play their first match of 2019.  The children certainly weren’t lacking energy after the Christmas period and were all eager to play.  Due to the large squad that Fishguard had, Tenby were asked to complete 4 periods of play, which they did not shy away from.

Tenby started off well, scoring within the first minute of play, all players smiling from ear to ear.  Play did not slow at all, with both teams eager to cross their respective try lines.  Tenby’s defence was equally as good as their running skills, tagging (and sometimes tackling!!) everything in sight.  Tenby came out the winners on the day, scoring 17 tries to Fishguard’s 12.

Man of the match went to Bobby Waters for his great running and scoring his first try for the team.  Well done Bobby!

Team – Caitlyn Lewis, Rupert James, Bradley Rossiter, Ethan Brace, Jude Christen, Leo Werner, Jevan Guymer, Dylan Drewett, Rhys Broadhurst, Bobby Waters, Craig Roberts.

Tries – Ethan (5), Jude (4), Craig (2), Jevan (2), Leo (2), Bobby W, Rupert.


Under 9’s

On Sunday after the Christmas /New Year break Tenby RFC Under 9’s travelled to Fishguard for their first game of 2019. Captained by Charlie Ronowitz

Tenby started well with a quick try from Sam , but unfortunately this was followed by two Fishguard tries . Aidan then flew threw the Fishguard defense to score a great try.

Fishguard then scored again , followed by a skillful try from Sonny . Another try from Fishguard. Another quick try from Sonny. Then two more tries from Fishguard, ending the score 6-4 , All Tenby boys played awesome against a tough Fishguard side .

Tries :- Sam , Aidan , Sonny x2

Team :- Ace , Sam, Aidan, Ollie , Cian, Oscar , Sonny, Evan, Charlie (Captain)


Under 10’s

Tenby Swifts u10’s rugby team headed up to Fishguard on Sunday. Tenby got off the mark early with captain Logan Hall bursting up the centre and crossing the line for the swifts and his first try. The tries continued to come thick and fast due to the swifts great team play. Tyler James, Rhys Barnes and Will Day demonstrated neat passing and their commitment in tackles was outstanding. Jack Henson won himself man of the match for his bravery and steadfast tackles. Madoc Evans was quick to every ruck winning the ball for the team. There were athletic tries from Evan Christen, George McDonald Jayden Cray and Will Hilling. A strong drive from the pack guided Bennet Diment across the line for another. Then once you have Ollie Tucker on a charge for a try there is no stopping him, this he proved three teams. The support in play and quick hands of Ethan Lewis and Rhys Barnes enabled players to break through and score. Will Diment assisted some great team play with his safe hands. Every player contributed to a good score of 13-3, well done lads.

Captain: Logan Hall

MOM: Jack Henson

Try scorers: Logan Hall 2, Evan Christen 4, Ollie Tucker 3, Willing Hilling 1, Jayden Cray 1, Bennet Diment 1, George McDonald 1


Under 11’s

Last Sunday Tenby Under 11s headed away to Fishguard for their opening game of 2019. After a tough first half of the season they set out to start the new year well. Tenby applied the pressure from the first whistle but after several phases a penalty for hands on the floor saw Fishguard regain possession and take the opportunity quickly to score the first try of the game. With the conversion missed the score stood at 5-0 to Fishguard. Fishguard built off this and began to apply their own pressure but when a penalty was awarded for coming in on the side it would this time be Tenby who were to gain the vital possession and some strong surges forward by Owen and Sophie saw Fishguards defense pushed up into their own 22. After some quick hands along the back line Rowan crossed to equal the score 5-5. The next try would come to the seasiders, another powerful run by Sophie saw play back in Fishguards half very quickly and this time provided Alfie with the opportunity to slice his way through the defense to score. Alfie W converted to push Tenby further into the lead at 5-12. Lovely quick passing and offloads by the Tenby backs were to be rewarded just before half time with a second try for Alfie which was again converted by Alfie W and left the half time score at 5-19 to Tenby. Fishguard came out firing in the second half but some big tackles by Tenby kept the wave of attack from crossing for a try and when Lewis was able to steal the ball back on the floor Alfie was able to inject his pace and score his third. This time Alfie converted his own try and extended the lead to 5-26 to the seasiders. From the restart Tenby chased the ball and fantastic pressure saw Fishguard knock on and a scrum was awarded. But Fishguard were to quickly turn the tables and regain possession and a strong run down the wing saw them cross for their second. Successfully converted the score stood at 12-26. Tenby forwards had shown so much strength and determination in the game so far and it would again be some strong rucking that would see Tenby regain the ball and a determined run by Jayden and some quick feet by Jack saw Jack cross and Alfie W convert to make the score 12-33 to Tenby. Fishguard were trying to put together some attacking phases and nearly sneaked over for a third try but a try saving tackle by the seasiders saw Tenby move play back up field with a well placed kick. Fishguard tried to run the ball back at Tenby but once again the seasiders defense stood strong and another tackle into touch provided Tenby with a lineout to work off. From the lineout the backs moved the ball and a well time pass from Rhys saw Sophie crash over for a well deserved try. Score now 12-38 to the seasiders. Tenby had put on a good performance but still weren’t finished. Just before the full time whistle Jayden pushed forward one last time, linking with Sophie who showed the same strength she had all game to push play onto Fishguards line and a last minute pass to Louie put him over to score. Final score was 12-43 to Tenby. Man of the match went to Sophie .


Under 12’s

Thirteen boys made the trip to Burry Port on Sunday for the first match of the year. After a substantial break from training and matches, it was going to be a good test to see how well the squad had retained their skills and their fitness. With Burry Port as the opposition, the challenge would be a tough one too!
The match started competitively with all the players determined to make their mark on the game and Eddie nearly made it through the defence to get the dream start, but was tackled just before the line. With that the tables were turned and despite some strong tackling by Tom Y and Sonny, Burry Port started to put the pressure on, forcing Tom W to make a fantastic counter-ruck on the try-line and prevent the home side scoring an early try. Unfortunately Tenby were unable to sustain this pressure for long: with a number of extremely tall and powerful players, Burry Port were dangerous in attack as they simply ran through (and at times over!) some of our smaller lads! Subsequently, they soon took the upper hand and scored three tries in quick succession, converting 2 of them.
Tenby were admirable in their fighting spirit however and at no point did they lose their composure, which was paid off with a great piece of team play feeding the ball along the line to winger Keaton, who put in an impressive jinxing sprint to cross the line and score. With a very difficult position to kick from, the conversion was missed but nonetheless, we were back in business! Eddie quickly closed the gap further with a great run and try of his own, which Fin very ably converted, bringing the score line to 19-12. With just a few minutes to go until the half time whistle and all the play in the Burry Port half, it looked on for another try for the Black and Reds, but instead it was an exceptionally tall player (as tall as the coaches and she was female: what on earth do they feed them up here to make them so tall!?!?) carrying the ball, Burry Port broke through to drive over for their fourth (uncoverted) try, making it 24-12 at the half time break.
In the second half, Eddie swapped roles from full-back with Ieuan at scrum-half and the bigger squad players (Rhydian, Sonny; Rhys, Iwan; Tom W and Cody) showed their strength in some good scrums and driving forward as once more the backs were admirable in their tackling prowess and fearlessness in tackling some players an awful lot bigger than them. Eddie and Tom Y showed some great linking play and Keaton made some great tackles, but it was unfortunately Burry Port who were the first to score (twice in fact, with one conversion) again this half. Eddie bagged his second try with an awesome series of steps to jinx through a number of the defensive players, Fin converting it with ease. 36-19 the score. Burry Port responded with a further converted try before Eddie got his hatrick. Fin was unlucky not to bag a try of his own with a strong run down the sideline, but he was pushed out of touch just shy of the line. Paddy, Rhys E and Ieuan also kept working hard until the end and Tenby finished the match strongly with Eddie scoring his fourth try (Tenby’s fifth) just before the final whistle, bringing the final score to 43-31.
The game was more competitively matched than the score line suggested, the occasional hesitancy in the ruck and with decision-making with the ball in hand by a minority of the players being the main culprit for spoiling the flow of play when in possession. However, with plenty of opportunity to remedy these issues in training, the rest of the season ahead looks promising. The coaches man of the match goes to Tom Young for his fantastic tackling and work-rate.
The squad were Eddie; Keaton; Sonny; Tom Y; Tom W; Rhydian; Rhys S; Fin; Rhys E; Iwan; Paddy; Ieaun and Cody.

Leave a Reply