shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Swifts Match Reports – Sunday 3rd February 2019

Under 7’s

On Sunday Tenby Under 7s hosted Pembroke Dock on a very frosty morning at the Clicketts.  With a delayed kick off due to the ice, it took both teams a little time to warm up.  Pembroke Dock were first to get on the score sheet with an exceptional try from their quick winger.  Not wanting to be outplayed, Tenby were quick to reply with a try from Jevan in the corner.  Pembroke Dock kept pushing forward, but Tenby’s tagging skills kept them from running away with the match.  Further tries from Ethan and Jevan kept Tenby’s spirits up.  Unfortunately, Pembroke Dock’s speed meant that the result wasn’t to go Tenby’s way, with Pembroke Dock winning 9 tries to 3.  “Man” of the match went to Caitlyn for her exceptional tagging.
Team – Caitlyn Lewis, Craig Roberts, Dylan Drewett, Ethan Brace, Jude Christen, Rhys Broadhurst, Leo Werner, Jevan Guymer, Bobby Waters, Bradley Rossiter, Rupert James.
Tries – Jevan(2), Ethan.

Under 11’s

Last Sunday Tenby Under 11s were coming off an impressive 42-21 win against Crymch the previous week at Heywood lane where Rocco had given a Man of the match performance. They were to play a home round robin this week against Pembroke Dock Quins and Pembroke. First of the games was Tenby versus Pembroke Dock Quins. The Quins didn’t have long to wait before the first wave of attack from Tenby hit them straight from the kick off. Once the ball found the hands of Sophie she showed such strength and determination to run the length of the field to score the opening try. Tenby lead 7-0. The second try of the morning quickly followed. Some lovely quick hands by the back line drew the defence in and enabled Carter to see the gap and cross the line. Try converted and the score stood at 14-0. Another quick try from the kick off saw the forwards secure the ball and Lewis show his immense strength to power over for his first. Seasiders now lead 21-0. The pressure the Tenby forwards were putting onto the Quins was fantastic and this in turn lead to the away team knocking on and a scrum to the seasiders awarded. This scrum provided the perfect platform for Tenby to run the ball and eventually land in the safe hands of Alfie who crossed for try number four. 28-0 to Tenby. The forwards work rate continued to impress and when Lucy fought and secured the ball for the next wave of attack for Tenby the Quins had to defend strong. They did well to hold off the seasiders but some quick ball out wide created the space for Alfie W to cross in the corner and the lead increased to 35-0. The girls were shining bright in this game and a powerful run up the centre of the field by Lucy had the Quins on the back foot and eventually saw Louie presented with the opportunity to dive over the line. 42-0 to Tenby. With the first half drawing to a close there was just time for Tenby to create one more try scoring opportunity. A strong run by Jack took play back up into the Quins half and allowed Connor to seize his chance to score. Half time result was 49-0 to Tenby. The second half started similar to the first. This time Jack was to add to his try count with his second and bring the score to 56-0. Tenby were working fantastically as a team and as the score increased so did their confidence to try alittle something more. This time Carter was to make the initial run drawing in the defence and a well timed switch with Jayden saw a clear run in for try number nine. Score was now 63-0 to Tenby. This was quickly followed up with another lovely run up field by Carter,side stepping his way through the defence and at the last moment popping the ball to Alfie W to score once more and bring the score to 70-0. Jayden was next to add to his try count by scoring his second and once converted the score was 77-0 to the seasiders. Quins never gave up fighting though and although tired and cold kept trying to piece together their own run of phases and gain some territory. This hard work was eventually rewarded with a well deserved try. Tenbys reply to this was another quick score from the kick off. A strong run by Rhys took play up into the Quins half and allowed Carter to create some space with his quick feet and pop a pass to Alfie W to cross for a try. A runaway try by Connor followed and the score was now 89-7 to Tenby. But it was to be the Quins who would have the last score and finish the game at 89-12. The second game of the round robin would see the Quins take on Pembroke and Pembroke walk away the winners. This set it up lovely for a final game between Tenby and Pembroke. Tenby started as they had the first game with a wave of attack from the first whistle. The forwards applied the pressure and took play into the Pembroke half very quickly and Carter was to spot a gap in the defence to open the score. A big kick up field at the restart from Pembroke saw them attempt to gain some territory but the ball was to be reclaimed by Lewis and he once again showed his strength to run the length of the touchline to score and increase the lead 14-0 to Tenby. The next try scoring opportunity fell again to the seasiders. A scrum was awarded to Tenby and this provided the platform for the backs to set up a run for Connor to cross in the corner. This was quickly followed by a second for Connor when Pembroke attempted to clear the ball off their own lines. A chip down field was taken brilliantly by Connor an allowed him to extend the seasiders lead to 28-0. Great teamwork by the forwards once again followed which secured the ball and was to this time provide the possession for Alfie W to cross in the corner. While the forwards were producing vital possession the backs were utilising it with some lovely running rugby which any defence would have found hard to contain. The next try was a prime example of this and would see Carter cross for try six. The pressure the seasiders were putting on Pembroke was forcing some errors from the away team. A dropped ball by Pembroke was swiftly pickled up by Lewis who crashed over and set the score at 49-0 to Tenby. Another example of lovely running angles was evident in try eight for the seasiders with Connor slicing through  the Pembroke defence to score. But Pembroke kept fighting and just on the half time whistle scored their first try leaving the score at the break at 56-0. Two tiring teams stepped back on the pitch for the second half but this didn’t stop both teams from attempting to run and create some lovely rugby. Tenby were to open the half with a lovely try. The determination of a Carter run was supported by Lewis who crashed over. Both teams had had to tackle hard In defence during this game and the fact they kept the intensity up till the end was impressive. A huge tackle by the seasiders would next dislodge the ball from Pembroke and a perfectly timed pass from Rhys would put Alfie over to score. Tenby now led 70-7. Pembroke continued to plug away and piece together their own period of pressure and were rewarded with a second try but Tenby were to be the team to have the final score with Alfie scoring in the final minutes and having the final result be 77-14 to the seasiders. Man of the match was awarded to Lewis. Big thanks to all supporters who braved the cold conditions.



Leave a Reply